Friday, March 25, 2011

Dear Grandma,

I know you have known this all along but IT'S A GIRL!!! I am over the moon excited about this and my mother's intuition was right!! I really wish you were here so I could have heard your reaction over the phone this morning but I know you were doing the happy dance for me this morning as we found out!
Over the past couple of weeks I have felt a sense of peace when it has come to this pregnancy and whether this little one was a girl or boy. I really feel like you have given me that peace and you have allowed me to enjoy this pregnancy.
My daily visitor has already come to visit me today and I know you know what I am talking about. You see, I know how much we both used to love sitting by your window watching the birds come and eat food and how you would just gasp when a cardinal would take a little rest. Well now, I have a cardinal that comes to our bird feeder every day at the same time whether there is food in there or not and she just sits and looks around for a few minutes. Then she is off again until the next day. It just reminds me of you and it makes me smile... so thank you for that.
When I look back on my childhood as a little girl the things I remember the most are with you. You were always my best friend and I want my little girl to grow up calling me her best friend too. I know that I want my little girl to have the same precious memories that I had so I have made a list of promises to her that I hope she will cherish as much as I did with youl! She will have you to thank for all of these memories one day!

~I promise to look into her eyes on the day she is born and say, "Hello Pretty Girl!" I never got tired of hearing you call me that!!
~I promise to sing "You Are My Sunshine" to her everyday.
~I promise to cook grits with her in the same green grits bowl that we used every weekend.
~I promise to take her shopping for the "perfect" dress and the matching accessories to make her feel like a princess.
~I promise to let her destroy my makeup in an attempt to play dress up just to go into the kitchen to have some hot tea out of our little tea cups.
~I promise to take her to plays and then go to K & W afterwards!! (one of my best memories)
~I promise to wipe her tears when a boy breaks her heart... you did that often!
~I promise to play hopscotch with her in the driveway (even when it's 100 degrees outside)
~I promise to teach her about the Lord and how he is our perfect God!
~I promise we will watch Lifetime movies on endless amounts of weekends curled up on the couch beside one another eating popcorn, pizza, and drinking coke!
~But most importantly I promise to always make her feel as beautiful and special as you always made me feel. I always knew I could call you no matter what time of day it was and you had a way of making everything okay. You were never too busy for me and I was never too busy for you! What a great relationship we always had.

When it came time for Aaron and I to pick out names I knew that if it was a girl I wanted to keep your legacy going somehow. I didn't know how at first but then it came to me. I said the name over and over and it made me smile. Aaron loved the name too so that was a plus.

Our little priss will be named Olivia Rebecca Hughes. If this name is any indication that she will turn out to be half the woman that you were I will be one blessed mommy!!

Thank you for allowing me to keep your legacy going! I hope I make you proud!
Sweet Dreams pretty girl!!

here she is Grandma!!
It's a GIRL!!!   
You were so anxious to meet little Evan!

and little Landon too!!


Love you bunches!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you, and for your grandma!
    I am just so happy that the baby is a girl! YAY! =]

    ReplyDelete