Sunday, February 6, 2011

Date night with the hubby=vegan mission failed!!

After watching Oprah's show last week on being a vegan I strangely had the urge to all of a sudden become a vegan!! I didn't think it would be real hard seeing that I already don't eat beef or pork and I really don't care for cheese. How hard could it be right?
All week  I had been carefully picking and choosing what to eat and what not to eat. I will admit that I slipped up a few times but I couldn't resist. The build your own deli sandwich at McAllisters  was just too tempting and too delicious. So there, strike one against me. (That was on Thursday)
Friday was a success. No meat, dairy, or any other products that came from animals. Fast forward 24 hours and that is where the bomb exploded.
You see, I have been wanting to go out to a nice dinner for quite some time and with 2 rambunctious toddlers that just isn't possible.- Red Robin isn't exactly my idea of a nice, fancy dinner. So last night my mother in law and sister in law so kindly came into town and babysat while me and the hubby went on our "date!!" 
We wanted to go somewhere different so we headed in the direction of downtown Winston.
First stop- 6th and Vine.- To be honest, I didn't really see anything on the menu that looked good so we decided to just get an appetizer and then we would venture out somewhere else for our meal.
And this is where the BOMB started to drop-
Appetizer- crab and artichoke dip- oh me oh my... It was so good BUT it had crab (which shouldn't count as an animal to begin with) and cheese.
Oh crap! Well if I am going to go all out I better go out with a bang right?
Off to dinner we went. The Chophouse- Yeap, I got a lobster tail (again, it shouldn't count as meat) with steamed asparagus.
We didn't get dessert because let's face it... I had already had way too much to eat.....
Fast forward 2 hours and where were we? Cold Stone Creamery. 
Yeap. I failed AGAIN!!
I got the love it (medium) chocolate delight with a banana on top. So there, I had milk because I had ice cream. (To my credit though, I only ate about 1/10 of it because it was so much)
So Veganism, I must admit.. Although in theory you sound really nice, I don't think you are for me. I think I will try to stick with being a vegetarian.

Side Note-The vegetarianism (is that even a word?) will start after today because we all know that today is the Super Bowl and what Super Bowl would be complete without boneless chicken wings right??

Date night!!! See the bump?? 11 weeks & 5 days!!
My yummy lobster dinner!!   

Yeap.. we all know where that weight will end up!!

4 comments:

  1. Such a cute blog! Keep it up. I always thought Erma Bombeck (you are too young to ever have heard of her) and I were the only 2 people who thought this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. So cute. I have to say, out of all "meat" I think I will end up missing lobster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, during pregnancy is not the time to make drastic changes to your diet. You could end up missing tons of key vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. I'd talk to your doc before doing anything crazy. And if you decide to try again after pregnancy, make sure to do extensive research on how to combine vegan foods so that you don't become deficient in anything. Vegetarianism, and especially veganism require lots of creativity and altering your palate. Just looking out for you! Want you to stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you remember the "Friends" episode when Phoebe was pregnant with the triplets? The vegetarian "failed" when the babies craved beef. Babies make you do things outside your box. LOL. Love the blog Mommy.

    ReplyDelete